PERMOHONAN PELAN PERMIT UNTUK MEMBAIKI GEREJA SEDIADA ‘CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION’,
NO.3 LEBUH FARQUHAR, DI ATAS LOT 767, SEK. 19, GEORGETOWN, DAERAH TIMUR LAUT, PULAU PINANG
UNTUK THE TITULAR ROMAN CATHOLIC BISHOP OF PENANG.
HISTORICAL RESEARCH & DECISIONS REACHED
Decisions Reached – Proposed Restoration.
The Church of the Assumption built in 1860, underwent a major renovation and extension in 1928 as described earlier, and since then she had retained her form except for the various types of windows and doors used.
Restoring back to 1860 is definitely out of consideration as this would require the removal of the following major components of the heritage building, which have been around since 1928:
- The existing two side wings (East and West transept) and completely reconstructing the façade where the two side wings now occupy.
- The entire concrete vault roof / ceiling and parapet wall and completely reconstructing the Indian tile roof, two rows of internal columns and the perimeter classical ‘bottle’ balusters above the cornice.
However, restoring to 1928 when the building is at her wholeness, would not affect her usage and allow for maximum retention of the existing components as the following only needs to be changed besides basic repair works:
- Change all existing modern adjustable glass louvres (which is inappropriate) to timber shutter / casement windows with adjustable louvres.
(In addition, the existing adjustable glass louvres with its external horizontal security grilles have instead served as ‘ladders’ for intruders to climb up to the fanlight and break into the church at night. The proposed windows will not facilitate the above-mentioned.)
- Change all bi-fold timber doors to double-swing timber doors with adjustable louvres. All metal security grilles will be removed.
- Extensive repair works will be carried inside and outside.
- Various new amenties shall be installed or upgraded to enhance comfort and aesthetics such as the introduction of a new air-conditioning system, new sound system, new projectors, concealed rewiring works and internal/external lighting.
- The existing sanctuary will be upgraded to enhance its heritage value.
- External landscaping works will be carried out.
|14 April 2016||Restoration plans approved by the Majlis Bandaraya Pulau Pinang (Penang City Council)|
|12 July 2016||Open for tender|
|26 August 2016||Award of tender|
|1 September 2016||Commencement of physical works|
|31 October 2017||Completion and handover by contractor|
Comparison of the church building exterior in 1928 and today: Except for windows and doors, everything is intact.
Comparison of the church building frontage in 1935 and today: Note the door below each bell tower was changed to a window. The door (timber louvre door) will be reinstated.
Comparison of the church interior in the 1950s and today: Except for furnishings at the sanctuary area, everything is intact. Even most of the old fans are still in use!
After much deliberation by the Assumption Church Restoration Committee, the restoration project contract was awarded to Kejuruteraan Asas Teguh Sejagat (PG 0224858-H)(KATS) for a total contract sum of RM2,300,000 via Letter of Award dated 30 September 2016.
KATS took possession of the site on 3 October 2016 and the physical work has since commenced.
We pray to our Lord Jesus for a smooth restoration works for our contractor.
Status as at 19 March 2017
Status as at 2 December 2017
The restoration is almost complete in time for the Re-dedication of the Restored Church on 1 January 2018